The Colours Of Us - Chapter Seventeen


 

Where the Mountains Remember

Chapter Seventeen: The Question Beneath the Mountains

"The mountains had been keeping a secret."

The morning arrived wrapped in golden light.

Rainbow Lake shimmered beneath a cloudless sky, reflecting the towering peaks that had silently watched over countless seasons.

Meher stepped outside the cabin carrying her camera.

The valley was still.

Only the gentle rustling of pine trees and the distant song of birds filled the crisp morning air.

She smiled.

"I don't think I'll ever get tired of this place."

Behind her, Ayaan smiled to himself.

"I hope not."


After breakfast, they wandered along the lakeshore one last time.

The wildflowers swayed gently in the breeze.

Dragonflies skimmed the surface of the water.

A family of ducks glided quietly across the lake, leaving delicate ripples behind them.

Everywhere Meher looked, she found another photograph waiting to be captured.

She paused beside a patch of tiny blue flowers.

"They weren't here last year."

Ayaan looked at the blossoms.

"Maybe they were."

"We just hadn't learned how to notice them yet."

She looked up at him and smiled.

"I think you've become a poet."

"I've spent enough time with you."


As they climbed the familiar path toward the hill overlooking Rainbow Lake, Meher noticed small wooden signs placed along the trail.

Each one carried a simple sentence.

Take your time.

A little farther...

Look around.

Then...

Beautiful things rarely hurry.

She laughed.

"I don't remember these."

"They're new."

"I like them."

"So do I."


At the top of the hill, a gentle breeze danced through the tall grass.

The view stretched endlessly before them.

The lake glowed in shades of turquoise and emerald.

Snow-capped mountains stood proudly against the deep blue sky.

In the distance, the Wishing Tree swayed peacefully.

Meher turned in a slow circle.

"It's even more beautiful than I remembered."

Ayaan looked at her instead of the view.

"I know."


"Close your eyes," he said.

She raised an eyebrow playfully.

"Should I be worried?"

"Have I ever given you a reason to be?"

She smiled.

"No."

"Then trust me."

She closed her eyes.

"I hope this isn't another one of your mysterious surprises."

"It is."

"I knew it."

He laughed softly.

"You can open them now."


When Meher opened her eyes, she saw a small picnic waiting beneath the shade of a pine tree.

The familiar checkered blanket.

Their enamel mugs.

A basket filled with fresh bread, local apricots, cheese, honey, and warm tea.

Beside the basket rested a glass jar.

Inside were dozens of neatly folded slips of paper.

"The promises," she whispered.

"You brought them."

"I thought they belonged here."

She knelt beside the blanket, smiling.

"You planned all this?"

"For quite a while."


They shared lunch slowly, talking about everything and nothing.

Their favorite books.

The letters they had written.

The places they still hoped to visit.

The dreams they wanted to build together.

When they finished, Ayaan reached for the little jar.

"Do you remember our first promise?"

She nodded.

"Never let silence become heavier than honesty."

"And we've kept it."

"Yes."

He unfolded another.

"Always make time for tea."

She laughed.

"We've definitely kept that one."

Another.

"Find beauty in ordinary days."

"We're still learning."

"We always will be," he replied.


The afternoon sunlight softened.

A gentle breeze carried the scent of pine needles and wildflowers across the hillside.

Ayaan stood.

Then he offered Meher his hand.

"Come with me."

They walked a short distance until they reached a single flat stone overlooking the entire lake.

The same place where they had watched the sunset on their very first visit.

For a long moment, neither spoke.

Finally, Ayaan broke the silence.

"Do you remember what you said here?"

She thought carefully.

"I said I was searching for a beautiful place."

"And later?"

"I realized I had found a beautiful life."

He nodded.

"I've been thinking about that ever since."

He took a slow breath.

"When we first came here, I thought these mountains would give us memories."

"They did."

"But they gave me something else too."

She looked at him quietly.

"They showed me the kind of person I wanted to become."

He smiled gently.

"A man who keeps his promises."

"A man who listens."

"A man who chooses kindness."

"And if I'm lucky..."

He paused, emotion softening his voice.

"...a man who gets to spend the rest of his life beside the woman who helped him become that person."

Tears shimmered in Meher's eyes.

Not from surprise.

From recognition.

Every shared sunrise.

Every Sunday letter.

Every cup of tea.

Every quiet conversation.

They had all been leading here.


Ayaan reached into his jacket pocket.

This time...

He didn't let the little wooden box stay hidden.

He opened it carefully.

Inside rested the simple ring engraved with two tiny mountain peaks.

It caught the afternoon light without demanding attention.

Just quietly beautiful.

Like everything they had built together.

He looked into Meher's eyes.

"Meher..."

"You once told me that happiness is knowing who you want beside you when the ordinary days arrive."

She smiled through happy tears.

"I remember."

"I've thought about those words every day since."

He took her hands gently in his.

"I can't promise a perfect life."

"I can't promise that every road will be easy."

"But I can promise this."

"I will listen before I assume."

"I will protect your peace."

"I will celebrate your victories."

"I will make time for tea."

"I will never let silence become heavier than honesty."

"And through every season..."

"I will keep choosing you."

He took a quiet breath.

Then, with the mountains standing witness and Rainbow Lake shimmering below, he asked the question that had been waiting since the beginning of their journey.

"Will you marry me?"

For a heartbeat...

The world seemed to pause.

The wind whispered through the pines.

The ribbons beneath the Wishing Tree danced in the distance.

A pair of birds soared across the lake.

Meher laughed through tears.

The kind of laughter that comes when joy is too big for words.

She nodded.

Then nodded again.

"Yes."

Her voice trembled with happiness.

"Yes, Ayaan."

"With all my heart..."

"Yes."

He slipped the ring onto her finger.

It fit perfectly.

Simple.

Elegant.

Home.


As the sun began its slow descent, they sat side by side overlooking Rainbow Lake.

Neither hurried to leave.

Neither felt the need to fill the silence.

The mountains had heard their answer.

The lake carried it gently across its waters.

Far away, the ribbons beneath the Wishing Tree fluttered joyfully in the breeze.

Two wishes had finally become one promise.

And somewhere beyond the hills, tomorrow quietly waited.

Not as the beginning of another adventure.

But as the beginning of a shared life.

Because the greatest journeys are never measured by the places we visit.

They are measured by the person whose hand we choose to hold while walking through them.

End of Chapter Seventeen

"Sometimes, the happiest endings are simply the beginnings we have been waiting for all along."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom