The Colours Of Us - Chapter Fifteen
Where the Mountains Remember
Chapter Fifteen: The Road to Forever
"Sometimes, the most meaningful journeys are the ones that lead us back to where our hearts first learned to hope."
Spring had painted the northern valleys with color once again.
The snow had melted into crystal-clear streams.
Wildflowers danced across the meadows.
The pine forests welcomed another season with their familiar whisper.
Nearly a year had passed since Meher and Ayaan had first stood beside Rainbow Lake.
So much had changed.
Yet somehow...
Everything important remained the same.
One Friday morning, Meher received a small parcel.
Inside was a folded map.
Across it, Ayaan had drawn a winding line in blue ink.
The route led north.
At the bottom, a handwritten note read:
"Meet me where our story began."
She smiled before she had even finished reading.
There was only one place he could mean.
Rainbow Lake.
The road north felt wonderfully familiar.
Roadside cafés still served steaming cups of chai.
The mountains rose higher with every passing mile.
Apricot orchards stretched across the valleys, their branches heavy with fruit.
Meher rolled down the window and breathed deeply.
"I've missed this air."
Ayaan glanced at her and smiled.
"So have I."
They stopped at the same roadside tea stall where they had shared breakfast on their first journey.
The owner recognized them immediately.
"You came back!"
"We promised we would," Ayaan replied.
The old man laughed.
"I remember the two of you."
"You spent more time looking at the mountains than your breakfast."
Meher smiled.
"They were difficult to ignore."
"So are young people in love," the owner teased.
Both of them laughed, their cheeks warming more than the tea in their hands.
As they continued their drive, they passed familiar places.
The wooden bridge where they had watched the river.
The meadow where they had picked wildflowers.
The little bakery that filled the air with the scent of fresh bread.
Each place carried a memory.
Each memory reminded them how far they had come.
"Do you remember our first trip?" Meher asked.
"I remember wondering if you were always that curious."
"And?"
"I was right."
She laughed.
"I still ask too many questions."
"No."
He looked at her warmly.
"You ask the ones that matter."
By late afternoon, Rainbow Lake appeared between the pine trees.
Its waters shimmered beneath the spring sun, reflecting every shade of blue imaginable.
For a long moment, neither of them spoke.
It felt less like arriving at a destination...
And more like greeting an old friend.
"It hasn't changed," Meher whispered.
"It didn't need to," Ayaan replied.
They left their bags at the same wooden cabin.
The owner welcomed them with a broad smile.
"I was wondering when you'd return."
"You remembered us?" Meher asked.
"Of course."
The owner chuckled.
"Not everyone leaves a place with smiles as bright as yours."
He handed them the familiar brass key.
"I kept hoping you'd come back."
As evening settled over the valley, they walked toward the Wishing Tree.
The colorful ribbons still fluttered gently in the breeze.
Time had faded some of their colors.
But none had broken free.
Meher found theirs almost immediately.
"They're still here."
Ayaan nodded.
"So are we."
She reached out and lightly touched the ribbon.
"It survived every season."
"Just like promises should."
Nearby, they discovered a weathered wooden bench overlooking the lake.
Someone had carved a simple sentence into its back.
Every journey leaves something behind.
Meher ran her fingertips over the carved words.
"What do you think we left here?"
Ayaan smiled.
"Our fear."
She looked at him.
"And what are we taking home this time?"
He gazed across the water, where the setting sun scattered golden light across the lake.
"Something even better."
"What?"
"Certainty."
The evening air grew cooler.
They spread a blanket on the hillside where they had once shared breakfast.
The same enamel mugs.
The same thermos of hot tea.
The same peaceful silence.
Only this time, the silence felt familiar.
Comfortable.
Like home.
"I've been thinking," Meher said softly.
"Dangerous," Ayaan teased.
She laughed.
"I knew you were going to say that."
"What have you been thinking about?"
She looked toward the lake.
"When we first came here, I thought I was searching for a beautiful place."
"And now?"
"I think this place helped me discover a beautiful life."
Ayaan listened quietly.
She continued.
"I used to believe happiness was something extraordinary."
"A perfect day."
"A dream fulfilled."
"But now..."
She smiled.
"I think happiness is simply knowing who you want beside you when the ordinary days arrive."
His heart swelled with quiet gratitude.
The first stars appeared above the mountains.
A gentle breeze carried the scent of pine and wildflowers through the evening air.
Ayaan slipped his hand into his jacket pocket.
The small wooden ring box was still there.
He held it for a moment.
Then...
He smiled to himself and let it go.
Not tonight.
Tomorrow.
Because some moments deserved the light of a new sunrise.
He looked toward Meher, who was quietly watching the stars.
She had no idea what tomorrow would bring.
And that made the moment even more precious.
Far across Rainbow Lake, the water reflected the moonlight like polished glass.
The mountains stood in quiet silence, just as they had on the day two strangers first arrived.
Perhaps they had always known.
Some journeys begin with curiosity.
Others end with certainty.
And between those two moments...
Love quietly finds its way home.
End of Chapter Fifteen
To be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment