The Colours Of Us - Chapter Thirteen


 

Where the Mountains Remember

Chapter Thirteen: A Place at the Table

"Love grows in quiet moments, but it finds its roots when it becomes part of everyday life."

Winter lingered a little longer that year.

The city mornings were wrapped in soft mist, and the evenings carried the comforting aroma of roasted chestnuts from roadside vendors.

For the first time in months, neither Meher nor Ayaan had planned a journey.

No mountain roads.

No hidden valleys.

No carefully packed backpacks.

Life itself had become their destination.


One Saturday afternoon, Ayaan called.

"My mother would like to meet you."

The words were simple.

Yet Meher's heart skipped a beat.

She smiled into the phone.

"I'd like to meet her too."


Sunday arrived with pale sunshine.

Meher stood before her wardrobe longer than she cared to admit.

She finally chose a simple ivory kurta with a soft blue shawl.

Nothing extravagant.

Just something that felt like herself.

She smiled at her reflection.

"Be yourself," she whispered.

"It has always been enough."


Ayaan's parents welcomed her with warmth that immediately eased her nervousness.

His mother embraced her gently.

"You've heard so much about me," Meher said shyly.

His mother laughed.

"Oh, my dear..."

"We've heard much more about you than you can imagine."

Meher glanced at Ayaan.

He suddenly found the teacups very interesting.

"You've been talking about me?"

He smiled innocently.

"Perhaps."

"Perhaps?"

His father chuckled.

"I believe your name appears in nearly every conversation."

Everyone laughed.

The room instantly felt lighter.


Lunch was wonderfully ordinary.

Fragrant rice.

Fresh vegetables.

Homemade kebabs.

Warm rotis passed from hand to hand.

Stories flowed more easily than anyone expected.

Ayaan's father shared tales of his childhood adventures.

His mother laughed while recalling Ayaan's first attempt at making tea.

"He added salt instead of sugar."

Meher covered her mouth to hide her laughter.

"No."

"Oh yes."

Ayaan sighed dramatically.

"I had hoped that story had been forgotten."

"Never," his mother replied with a smile.


After lunch, they moved to the garden.

Winter flowers bloomed quietly beneath the afternoon sun.

A sparrow hopped between the flowerpots while the kettle whistled softly from the kitchen.

Ayaan's mother handed Meher a small clay pot.

Inside grew a tiny jasmine plant.

"My grandmother used to say that jasmine teaches us something important."

"What is that?" Meher asked.

"It doesn't bloom every day."

"But when it does..."

"It fills the whole garden with fragrance."

She smiled gently.

"Love is often like that."

"It isn't measured by how loudly it speaks."

"It's measured by the kindness it leaves behind."

Meher looked at the little plant in her hands.

"I'll take good care of it."

"I know you will."


A week later, it was Ayaan's turn.

He arrived at Meher's home carrying a neatly wrapped box.

"You didn't have to bring anything," she said.

"I know."

He smiled.

"But I wanted to."

Inside the box was a handcrafted wooden tea tray.

Its surface was carved with delicate mountain peaks.

Along one corner, in graceful lettering, were the words:

Where the Mountains Remember

"You found another one?" Meher asked.

"I had it made."

She traced the carving with her fingertips.

"It's beautiful."

"I thought..."

He hesitated.

"...maybe every Sunday letter deserves a proper cup of tea."

She laughed.

"I think you've made tea part of our story forever."

"I hope so."


That evening, both families gathered around the dining table.

Conversations moved easily between childhood memories, favorite books, recipes, and travel dreams.

At one point, Meher's father looked at Ayaan.

"I have a question."

The room grew quiet.

"What is it, Uncle?"

"What do you admire most about my daughter?"

Ayaan answered without hesitation.

"Her kindness."

Everyone waited.

He continued softly.

"She notices the people others overlook."

"She remembers names."

"She listens before speaking."

"And she has a way of making ordinary moments feel important."

He smiled toward Meher.

"I think the world needs more people like her."

A quiet silence settled over the table.

Not because no one had anything to say.

But because sincerity often leaves no room for unnecessary words.


As the evening came to an end, Meher walked Ayaan to the garden gate.

The winter sky shimmered with countless stars.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

She smiled.

"Lighter."

"Why?"

"I realized something today."

"What?"

"We've spent months building memories together."

"But today..."

She glanced back toward the warmly lit house.

"...those memories began finding a home."

He looked at the glowing windows where laughter still drifted into the night.

"My grandfather used to say..."

"A house becomes a home when people begin saving a place for you at the table."

She slipped her hand into his.

"I think we found our seats."

They stood together beneath the quiet winter sky.

Not rushing.

Not speaking.

Simply grateful.

Because love wasn't only found on mountain peaks or beside crystal lakes.

Sometimes...

It lived around a dining table.

In shared meals.

Gentle laughter.

Freshly brewed tea.

And the comforting knowledge that wherever life might lead them...

There would always be a place waiting for them.

A place at the table.

End of Chapter Thirteen

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom