The Colours Of Us - Chapter Ten


 

Where the Mountains Remember

Chapter Ten: When Silence Became Heavy

"Sometimes, love doesn't fade because people stop caring. It fades because they stop sharing the little pieces of their days."

Winter arrived with quiet determination.

The mornings became colder.

The evenings grew shorter.

And life, somehow, became even busier.

For weeks, Meher and Ayaan continued writing their Sunday letters.

But the conversations between those letters grew shorter.

Not because they loved each other less.

Because both believed they were protecting the other from their own worries.


One Monday evening, Meher stood in her kitchen, stirring a pot of soup while rain tapped gently against the window.

She picked up her phone.

She typed a message.

"Long day?"

Before she could press send, the screen lit up with a notification.

Ayaan: In a meeting. I'll call you later.

She smiled.

"Take your time," she replied.

The call never came.


Across the city, Ayaan finally left his office close to midnight.

The meeting had run longer than expected.

His phone battery had died.

By the time he reached home, exhaustion settled over him like a heavy blanket.

He looked at the charger beside his bed.

"I'll call her first thing tomorrow."

Tomorrow arrived.

Then another tomorrow.

Then another.


Sunday came.

As always, a letter arrived.

But this one felt different.

Dear Ayaan,

Do you remember what you told me beside Rainbow Lake?

"Love is consistency."

I've been thinking about those words this week.

Life has become busy for both of us, and I know neither of us means to drift away.

Still...

I miss our conversations.

Not because I need constant attention.

Because I miss knowing how your day sounded.

Did you laugh?

Did you finally take a proper lunch break?

Did you notice the sunset?

Sometimes I wonder if we're both trying so hard to be strong that we've forgotten it's okay to lean on each other.

Maybe this letter isn't asking for an answer.

Maybe it's simply asking for us.

—Meher


Ayaan read the letter three times.

Each sentence settled quietly in his heart.

She wasn't angry.

She wasn't accusing him.

She was inviting him back.

And somehow, that hurt even more.

He folded the letter carefully and slipped it into his coat pocket.

He carried it with him all day.


That evening, instead of going straight home, he stopped at the same café where they had met during the autumn rain.

He chose the table by the window.

Ordered two cups of tea.

And waited.

When Meher walked through the door, surprise softened into a gentle smile.

"You ordered before I got here."

"I remembered your favorite."

She sat across from him.

For a moment, neither spoke.

The silence felt unfamiliar.

Not uncomfortable.

Just... heavier than before.


"I read your letter," Ayaan said quietly.

"I know."

"I'm sorry."

She looked at him with kind eyes.

"For what?"

"For disappearing."

"You didn't disappear."

"I was standing right here."

She smiled sadly.

"Your body was."

He lowered his eyes.

"But your heart was carrying everything alone."

The truth landed gently between them.

He hadn't meant to shut her out.

He had simply convinced himself that protecting her meant saying less.


"I kept thinking," he admitted, "that once work settled down, everything would go back to normal."

"And did it?"

He shook his head.

"It only became busier."

She wrapped both hands around her warm cup of tea.

"I don't need perfect."

"I don't expect every evening together."

"I don't even need long conversations."

She smiled softly.

"But tell me about your day."

"Tell me when you're tired."

"Tell me when you're overwhelmed."

"Let me be part of your ordinary life."

His eyes met hers.

"I thought I had to carry everything myself."

"You don't."

The words were simple.

Yet they lifted a weight he hadn't realized he was carrying.


Snow began to fall outside the café.

Tiny white flakes drifted through the evening air, settling gently on the sidewalks.

Meher looked out the window.

"It's the first snowfall."

Ayaan smiled.

"We almost missed it."

She turned back toward him.

"That's what worries me."

"What?"

"That life keeps happening while we're too busy looking somewhere else."

He reached across the table.

Not dramatically.

Just enough for his hand to rest beside hers.

"I don't want to miss this."

"Neither do I."

She placed her hand over his.

No grand speech.

No dramatic apology.

Just two people choosing to begin again.


When they stepped outside, the city had turned white.

Children laughed as they caught snowflakes on their gloves.

Streetlights reflected against the fresh snow, making everything seem quieter.

As they walked side by side, Ayaan spoke.

"Can we make a new promise?"

Meher looked at him.

"What kind of promise?"

"No matter how busy life becomes..."

"We never let silence grow heavier than honesty."

She smiled.

"I like that."

"And one more thing."

She laughed.

"There's another?"

"Whenever one of us feels overwhelmed..."

"We say it."

"No pretending."

"No guessing."

"No waiting until it hurts."

She nodded.

"It's a promise."

Above them, snow continued to fall.

Covering the city in calm.

Reminding them that even after the coldest seasons, the world has a gentle way of becoming beautiful again.

Perhaps relationships were like winter.

They weren't meant to stay frozen forever.

Sometimes all they needed...

...was the courage to speak before silence settled too deeply.

As they disappeared into the softly falling snow, the little mountain-shaped bookmark rested safely inside Meher's coat pocket.

A quiet reminder.

The mountains were far away.

But the lessons they had learned there were still guiding them home.

End of Chapter Ten

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom