The Colours Of Us - Chapter Seven


 

Where the Mountains Remember

Chapter Seven: The Last Sunset

"Some places become memories the moment you arrive. Others become a part of your heart before you leave."

The morning they were supposed to leave Rainbow Lake arrived far too quickly.

The mountains stood as majestic as ever, their snow-covered peaks glowing beneath the soft morning light. Mist drifted lazily over the lake, blurring the line between sky and water.

Inside the cabin, suitcases lay open on the wooden floor.

Meher folded her sweater carefully before placing it inside her bag.

"I don't want to pack," she murmured.

Ayaan looked up from zipping his backpack.

"We could always miss our jeep."

She laughed.

"And spend the rest of our lives here?"

He pretended to think about it.

"There are worse ideas."

She smiled, though there was a hint of sadness behind it.


After breakfast, they decided to take one last walk around the lake.

The familiar trail felt different now.

Every pine tree.

Every wildflower.

Every smooth stone along the shore had become part of their story.

"Do you remember our first day?" Meher asked.

"You stood there for almost five minutes without saying a word."

"I was speechless."

"You still are... occasionally."

She nudged his shoulder playfully.

"I talk plenty."

"You do."

"And somehow, I still wish our conversations lasted longer."

She looked down at the path, smiling.

"So do I."


As they reached the wooden dock, they found an elderly fisherman repairing his nets.

He greeted them with a warm smile.

"Leaving today?"

Meher nodded.

"I wish we didn't have to."

The fisherman chuckled.

"No one ever wants to leave this lake."

"How do you know?"

"Because I've watched people come here for forty years."

He tied another knot in the net before continuing.

"They arrive carrying heavy hearts."

"And they leave carrying beautiful memories."

He looked toward the shimmering water.

"The mountains have a quiet way of changing people."

Neither Meher nor Ayaan replied.

Deep down, they knew he was right.


Later that afternoon, they climbed to the hill where they had shared breakfast among the wildflowers.

The blanket was spread once again.

The tea was just as warm.

But this time, neither of them spoke much.

It wasn't sadness.

It was gratitude.

Sometimes, silence is simply another way of saying, I wish this moment could last forever.

Ayaan poured the last cup of tea.

"Do you know what I'll miss the most?"

Meher smiled.

"The view?"

He shook his head.

"The company."

A gentle breeze carried her laughter across the hillside.

"You always know the right thing to say."

"No."

He looked at her with quiet sincerity.

"I just say what I feel."


As the sun began its slow descent, the entire valley transformed into gold.

The mountains glowed like ancient guardians watching over the lake.

The water reflected every changing color of the sky.

"It looks different every evening," Meher whispered.

"Maybe that's why it's called Rainbow Lake."

"Or maybe," Ayaan replied, "it's reminding us that beauty never stays exactly the same."

She looked at him.

"People change too."

"They do."

"Does that scare you?"

He thought for a moment.

"It used to."

"What changed?"

"I realized change isn't always something we lose."

"Sometimes..."

He smiled.

"It's how we become who we're meant to be."


The first stars appeared just as the sun disappeared behind the mountains.

They walked toward the shoreline one final time.

The lake was perfectly still.

Ayaan reached into his backpack.

"I almost forgot."

"What?"

He handed her a small envelope.

"What's this?"

"Don't open it until you're home."

She looked at him curiously.

"Is it another surprise?"

"You'll have to wait."

She slipped the envelope safely into her journal.

"Now I'm curious."

"Good."

She laughed softly.

"You enjoy keeping secrets."

"Only the happy ones."


Before leaving, Meher knelt beside the water.

She dipped her fingertips into the lake one last time.

The water was as cold as it had been on their first day.

She smiled.

"It still surprises me."

Ayaan stood beside her.

"Maybe that's the point."

She looked up.

"What is?"

"To never stop being surprised by beautiful things."

She stood, brushing the droplets from her hands.

"I think this place taught me something."

"What?"

"That peace isn't somewhere you travel to."

He waited.

"It's something you carry with you."

Ayaan smiled.

"And I think you've found it."


Their jeep arrived just before nightfall.

The driver loaded their luggage while they stood quietly beside the cabin.

Neither wanted to be the first to climb inside.

Finally, Meher looked back at the lake.

"Promise me something."

"Anything."

"No matter how busy life becomes..."

"No matter how many years pass..."

"No matter how much we change..."

"Let's come back."

Ayaan held out his hand.

"I promise."

She placed her hand in his.

"And next time..."

He smiled.

"We'll stay even longer."

The jeep began its slow journey down the mountain road.

Meher looked through the rear window until Rainbow Lake disappeared behind the pines.

She expected to feel heartbroken.

Instead...

She felt hopeful.

Because she wasn't leaving empty-handed.

She was taking home laughter that echoed through the mountains.

Conversations that stretched into the night.

The warmth of shared tea.

The promise beneath the Wishing Tree.

And a feeling she hadn't been searching for, yet somehow had found.

Beside her, Ayaan glanced out at the winding road ahead.

Neither of them noticed the smile on the other's face.

Some stories begin with a destination.

Theirs had only just begun.

End of Chapter Seven

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom