The Colours Of Us - Chapter Nine
Where the Mountains Remember
Chapter Nine: A City Full of Noise
"The loudest places in the world often make us miss the quietest corners of our hearts."
Autumn arrived quietly.
The leaves in the city parks turned shades of amber and gold, and the evenings grew cooler with each passing week. Life continued its familiar rhythm, busy and unrelenting.
Morning alarms.
Crowded roads.
Deadlines.
Appointments.
Endless to-do lists.
Some days passed so quickly that Meher wondered where the hours had gone.
She often found herself reaching for her phone to tell Ayaan something—a beautiful sunset, a funny conversation, the aroma of fresh chai from a roadside stall—only to remember that he was probably in another meeting.
Instead, she smiled and made a note in her journal.
Tell him on Sunday.
For Ayaan, the weeks became even more demanding.
A new project required long hours, unexpected travel, and difficult decisions. He often returned home after midnight, too tired to do anything except make a cup of tea and sit quietly by the window.
One evening, he noticed a small envelope waiting on his dining table.
It was Sunday's letter.
He smiled despite his exhaustion.
No matter how chaotic the week became, one thing remained constant.
Every Sunday, Meher's handwriting found its way to him.
That weekend, instead of writing about mountains, Meher wrote about ordinary life.
Dear Ayaan,
Today I baked bread for the first time in months. It wasn't perfect, but the smell filled the whole kitchen and somehow reminded me of breakfast on the hill above Rainbow Lake.
It's funny how memories work. They hide inside the simplest things.
Sometimes I think peace isn't a destination anymore.
It's learning to notice little joys before they disappear.
I hope you've been noticing yours too.
—Meher
Ayaan read the letter twice.
Then, for the first time in weeks, he closed his laptop before midnight.
The following Sunday, his reply arrived.
Dear Meher,
You asked whether I've been noticing the little joys.
I'm trying.
Yesterday, I watched the rain from my office window instead of rushing to the next task.
I made tea without checking my phone.
I even walked home instead of driving.
Do you know what I realized?
The city has its own kind of beauty.
You just have to slow down enough to see it.
Thank you for reminding me how.
—Ayaan
Meher folded the letter carefully and slipped it into a wooden box where she kept every note he had sent.
Some people collected souvenirs.
She collected words.
One crisp Saturday afternoon, they finally found time to meet.
Not at an expensive restaurant.
Not in a crowded shopping mall.
Instead, they chose a quiet café tucked between old trees, where steaming cups of chai arrived in simple ceramic mugs and soft music drifted through the air.
"You look tired," Meher said gently.
Ayaan laughed.
"Is it that obvious?"
"A little."
He rubbed the back of his neck.
"I've been so busy that I forgot what day it was on Wednesday."
She smiled.
"I almost reminded you."
"What stopped you?"
"I wanted to see if you'd remember."
"And?"
"I think your calendar remembered before you did."
They both laughed.
The tension of the past few weeks seemed to melt away.
As the rain began to fall outside, they moved closer to the window.
Droplets raced down the glass while people hurried along the street with umbrellas.
"It's strange," Meher said.
"What is?"
"When we were at Rainbow Lake, time felt endless."
"And now?"
"Now I wish there were more hours in a day."
Ayaan stirred his tea thoughtfully.
"Maybe the problem isn't time."
She looked at him.
"Maybe we've started treating every moment like it's something to spend instead of something to live."
His words lingered between them.
She knew he was right.
When they left the café, the rain had become a gentle drizzle.
The streets shimmered beneath the city lights.
Without thinking, Ayaan opened his umbrella above them both.
Their shoulders brushed as they walked.
Cars splashed through puddles.
Children laughed while jumping over rainwater.
An elderly couple shared roasted corn beneath a bus stop.
Life was unfolding all around them.
Messy.
Beautiful.
Ordinary.
Meher looked around and smiled.
"Do you know what?"
"What?"
"I've been waiting for life to feel like Rainbow Lake again."
"And?"
"I think I've been looking in the wrong place."
Ayaan smiled.
"You found it?"
She nodded.
"It's here too."
He followed her gaze.
The rain.
The laughter.
The warmth of shared tea.
The quiet comfort of walking beside someone who understood her.
Perhaps peace had never belonged only to the mountains.
Perhaps it had quietly followed them home.
Before they parted that evening, Ayaan reached into his coat pocket.
"I almost forgot."
He handed her a tiny paper bag.
Inside was a smooth, hand-carved wooden bookmark shaped like a mountain.
Across it, in delicate lettering, were the words:
"Where the Mountains Remember."
"I saw it at a local artisan's shop," he said.
"It reminded me of us."
Meher traced the carved peaks with her fingertips.
"It's beautiful."
"So are the stories you'll write with it."
She looked up, her eyes shining.
"I think this one might become my favorite."
He smiled.
"I have a feeling we're only halfway through it."
As they walked in opposite directions, neither felt the familiar sadness of goodbye.
Because they had learned something important.
Love wasn't measured by how often they escaped to extraordinary places.
It was measured by how gently they cared for each other in ordinary ones.
And somewhere, far beyond the city's lights, Rainbow Lake rested beneath the stars.
Patient.
Timeless.
Waiting for the day two familiar travelers would return.
End of Chapter Nine
To be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment