The Colours Of Us - Chapter Eleven
Where the Mountains Remember
Chapter Eleven: Finding the Way Back
"Love isn't about never losing your way. It's about choosing to find each other again."
Winter settled gently over the city.
The mornings arrived wrapped in silver fog, and the evenings invited people indoors with the comforting aroma of chai and warm meals.
Life was still busy.
Deadlines hadn't disappeared.
Responsibilities still waited each morning.
But something had changed.
Meher and Ayaan had begun making room for each other again.
Not with grand gestures.
With small, intentional moments.
A five-minute phone call before work.
A shared photograph of the morning sky.
A message that simply read,
"Did you remember to eat lunch today?"
Sometimes, love returned quietly.
One ordinary day at a time.
One Saturday morning, Meher found a cream-colored envelope tucked beneath her apartment door.
She immediately recognized Ayaan's handwriting.
Inside was a handwritten note.
Pack a small bag.
One sweater.
A notebook.
Comfortable shoes.
And don't ask questions.
I'll pick you up tomorrow at seven.
She laughed.
There was no signature.
There didn't need to be one.
The next morning, the city was still asleep when Ayaan arrived.
The streets were quiet, washed clean by rain during the night.
"Where are we going?" Meher asked as she settled into the passenger seat.
"If I told you..."
"You'd ruin the surprise?"
"Exactly."
She folded her arms with playful determination.
"I'll figure it out."
"You can try."
The road slowly carried them away from crowded streets and concrete buildings.
Gradually, apartment blocks gave way to open fields.
The air became cooler.
The sky stretched wider.
Meher rolled down the window.
Fresh air rushed into the car.
"I've missed this."
"I know."
"How?"
"You smiled before you even said anything."
After two hours, they reached a quiet riverside village nestled among gentle hills.
It wasn't famous.
It wasn't crowded with tourists.
It wasn't on anyone's list of must-see destinations.
That was precisely why Ayaan had chosen it.
A narrow river wound peacefully through the valley, its clear water reflecting the pale winter sun.
An old wooden bridge connected the two sides of the village.
Children chased one another through the fields while elderly men sat beneath a large banyan tree, sharing stories over cups of steaming tea.
Meher stepped out of the car slowly.
"This place feels..."
She searched for the right word.
"...peaceful."
"I hoped you'd say that."
They spent the morning wandering through the village.
A local baker invited them to taste fresh bread straight from a traditional clay oven.
An elderly woman insisted they try homemade butter and honey.
A young girl proudly showed them the scarf she had learned to weave from her grandmother.
Meher listened carefully to every story.
"You remember everyone's names," Ayaan observed.
"They trusted me enough to tell them."
She smiled.
"I think names deserve to be remembered."
In the afternoon, they reached the riverbank.
The water flowed gently over smooth stones, creating a melody that reminded Meher of Rainbow Lake.
She sat on a large rock while Ayaan skipped a pebble across the water.
It bounced once.
Twice.
Three times.
"I've never been good at that," she admitted.
"Want me to teach you?"
She nodded eagerly.
He placed a flat stone in her hand.
"Hold it like this."
He stood beside her, gently adjusting her grip.
"Now throw it low."
She tried.
The stone dropped into the river with a single splash.
She laughed.
"That was terrible."
"It was your first attempt."
"I think the river is laughing at me."
"No."
He smiled.
"I think it's cheering you on."
She tried again.
This time...
The stone skipped twice before disappearing beneath the water.
She gasped.
"I did it!"
"You did."
The pride in her smile was brighter than the winter sun.
As evening approached, they sat beneath an ancient banyan tree overlooking the river.
The branches stretched wide, sheltering them from the cool breeze.
"Ayaan?"
"Hmm?"
"Why did you bring me here?"
He looked toward the flowing river.
"Because after our conversation at the café..."
He paused.
"I realized something."
She waited quietly.
"I kept trying to bring back Rainbow Lake."
"And?"
"I can't."
She nodded.
"No place can be recreated."
"Exactly."
He smiled.
"So instead of chasing old memories..."
"I wanted us to make new ones."
A tear slipped quietly down Meher's cheek.
Not from sadness.
From the simple beauty of being understood.
She looked at the river, sparkling beneath the fading light.
"You know..."
"What?"
"I used to think love meant finding someone who made every day exciting."
He turned toward her.
"What do you think now?"
"I think love is finding someone who makes ordinary days feel meaningful."
The village mosque called the faithful to prayer.
The gentle sound floated across the river and through the evening air.
The village slowed.
Conversations softened.
For a few peaceful moments, everything seemed to pause.
Meher closed her eyes.
The sound, the breeze, the river, and the fading sunlight settled gently around them.
When she opened them again, Ayaan was watching the river.
"What are you thinking about?" she asked.
He smiled.
"That I almost let work convince me I didn't have time for moments like this."
"And now?"
"Now I think I don't have time to lose them."
She reached for his hand.
No words were needed.
The silence between them no longer felt heavy.
It felt peaceful again.
As the first stars appeared above the quiet village, they began the drive home.
Neither noticed how much they had laughed that day.
Neither realized how many memories they had quietly created.
Sometimes...
Finding the way back wasn't about returning to a place.
It was about returning to the version of yourselves that smiled more, listened more, and loved without rushing.
Far away, beyond rivers, forests, and snow-covered peaks, Rainbow Lake rested beneath the same evening sky.
Its waters reflected the stars as faithfully as ever.
As if the mountains already knew...
The journey of Meher and Ayaan had never truly been about one destination.
It had always been about learning to find wonder wherever life carried them.
End of Chapter Eleven
To be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment