The Colors of Us – Chapter Two

 

The Colors of Us – Chapter Two

Between Silence and Sunlight

Morning arrived quietly over Rainbow Lake.

A veil of mist floated across the water while the first rays of sunlight painted the mountain peaks in shades of gold. The valley was still asleep, wrapped in the peaceful silence that only nature could create.

Meher stepped outside the wooden cabin, pulling her cardigan closer around her shoulders. The cool morning breeze kissed her cheeks as she walked toward the lake.

She hadn't expected anyone else to be awake.

Yet there he was.

Ayaan sat on an old wooden dock with a steaming mug of tea in his hands, watching the sunrise.

"You disappeared," Meher teased as she approached.

"I thought I'd borrow the sunrise before everyone else woke up."

She smiled.

"Was it worth it?"

He looked toward the lake.

"I think some moments are too beautiful to sleep through."

Without another word, he handed her the second mug.

"You made tea?"

"I had help from the caretaker."

"I was about to say... this tastes better than yours."

He laughed.

"So cruel before breakfast?"

"It's honesty."

"I'll survive."

She sat beside him, their shoulders almost touching.

For several minutes, neither of them spoke.

The silence wasn't awkward.

It felt comfortable.

Like two people who had stopped trying to impress each other.


After breakfast, they decided to explore the trails surrounding the lake.

Wildflowers stretched across the meadows in shades of purple, yellow, and white. Tiny butterflies danced through the air, and somewhere in the distance, the sound of flowing water echoed between the mountains.

Meher stopped every few minutes to take photographs.

"This one," she said excitedly. "Stand there."

Ayaan looked behind him.

"Where?"

"Right beside that pine tree."

He obediently walked into position.

"No, no... turn a little."

He turned.

"A little more."

He turned again.

She laughed.

"I've officially become your photographer."

"And you're an impatient model."

She lowered the camera.

"Actually..."

"What?"

"I like taking pictures of people when they're not posing."

"Why?"

"Because that's when they look like themselves."

He looked at her for a long moment.

"And who do you become when no one's looking?"

The question caught her off guard.

She looked down at the camera in her hands.

"I think..."

She paused.

"I become someone who isn't trying to be perfect anymore."

His smile was soft.

"I like that version."


The trail eventually led them to a small hill overlooking Rainbow Lake.

From above, the water shimmered like polished glass, reflecting every cloud drifting across the sky.

"It's incredible," Meher whispered.

"I've never seen so many shades of blue."

Ayaan picked up a smooth pebble and rolled it between his fingers.

"Do you know something?"

"What?"

"I almost canceled this trip."

She looked at him in surprise.

"Why?"

"I've always been busy chasing the next goal... the next deadline... the next responsibility."

He sighed.

"I forgot what it felt like to simply exist."

Meher understood that feeling more than she wanted to admit.

"There was a time," she said quietly, "when I forgot how to laugh."

He turned toward her.

"What changed?"

"I stopped waiting for life to become perfect."

The breeze carried her words across the valley.

"I realized happiness doesn't arrive all at once."

She smiled.

"It arrives in tiny moments."

A warm cup of tea.

A sunrise.

A mountain breeze.

A conversation that asks for nothing.

And sometimes...

A person who quietly reminds you that you're safe.


As afternoon faded into evening, clouds gathered above the mountains.

A light drizzle began to fall.

"Oh no," Meher laughed, looking up at the sky.

"We're going to get soaked."

Ayaan reached into his backpack.

"You packed an umbrella?"

"No."

He unfolded a large waterproof picnic blanket.

She blinked.

"You packed... a blanket?"

"I like being prepared."

They held it above their heads and hurried down the trail, laughing as the rain grew heavier.

Halfway back, Meher slipped on a wet stone.

Before she could lose her balance completely, Ayaan caught her hand.

For a heartbeat, neither of them moved.

Rain drummed softly against the blanket.

Their laughter faded into silence.

"Are you okay?" he asked gently.

She nodded.

"I am now."

Their eyes met.

The world around them seemed to disappear.

Only the rain remained.

Only the mountains.

Only two hearts standing impossibly close beneath one small shelter.

Neither of them reached for words.

Some feelings were too beautiful to interrupt.

When they finally reached the cabin, both were laughing again, their shoes muddy and their sleeves damp.

"We look like we've survived an expedition," Meher said.

"We survived the Great Rainbow Lake Rainstorm."

She laughed so hard that tears formed in her eyes.

It wasn't because the joke was particularly funny.

It was because happiness had become effortless.

And perhaps that was love's quietest beginning—not fireworks or dramatic confessions, but the comforting realization that life felt lighter whenever the other person was near.

Outside, the rain slowly faded.

Above Rainbow Lake, a rainbow stretched gracefully across the evening sky.

Meher looked at it and smiled.

"Maybe the lake has been waiting for this all along."

Ayaan followed her gaze.

"Or maybe..."

He looked at her instead.

"...it was waiting for us."

End of Chapter Two

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom