The Colors of Us – Chapter Three


 

The Colors of Us – Chapter Three

The Wish Beneath the Stars

The rain had washed the valley clean.

By evening, Rainbow Lake glowed beneath a sky so clear that every mountain seemed close enough to touch. The scent of wet earth drifted through the air, mingling with the fragrance of pine trees.

The caretaker of the cabin had lit a small bonfire near the shore.

Its gentle flames flickered against the cool mountain breeze.

Meher wrapped herself in a warm shawl and settled onto a wooden log beside the fire.

Ayaan appeared a few moments later, carrying a plate filled with roasted corn and freshly grilled trout.

"I made dinner," he announced proudly.

She looked at the slightly overcooked trout and raised an eyebrow.

"You call that cooking?"

"It has... character."

"It has burn marks."

"They're called mountain flavors."

She laughed so hard that she nearly spilled her tea.

"I don't know whether to trust your confidence or your cooking."

"You should definitely trust my confidence."

"And the cooking?"

"We'll order food next time."

They both burst into laughter.

The mountains carried the sound across the quiet valley.


As darkness settled over Rainbow Lake, thousands of stars slowly appeared overhead.

Without the city's lights, the night sky looked endless.

Meher leaned back, her eyes fixed on the glittering blanket above.

"I've never seen so many stars."

Ayaan followed her gaze.

"My grandfather used to tell me that every star carries someone's wish."

"What did you wish for when you were little?"

He smiled.

"A bicycle."

She laughed.

"And?"

"I got one two years later."

"So wishes come true... eventually."

"What about you?"

She fell silent for a moment.

"When I was little, I wished for adventure."

"And now?"

She thought carefully before answering.

"Now I wish for peace."

He looked at her, not with pity, but with understanding.

"I hope you find it."

She smiled gently.

"I think I'm already finding pieces of it."


A soft breeze rippled across the lake.

Meher pulled a small notebook from her bag.

"You brought a journal?" Ayaan asked.

"I never travel without one."

"What do you write?"

"Thoughts. Poems. Conversations I don't want to forget."

She hesitated before adding,

"Sometimes I write about people."

He grinned.

"Should I be worried?"

"Only if you're planning to become the villain."

"I was hoping to be the mysterious hero."

"I think you're too terrible at keeping secrets for that."

"Oh?"

"You packed tea, a blanket, extra sweaters, snacks, and a first-aid kit."

He looked surprised.

"You noticed?"

"I notice everything."

For a moment, neither of them spoke.

Then he smiled.

"So do I."


The fire crackled softly between them.

"Ayaan," she asked quietly.

"Hmm?"

"What do you think love really is?"

He stared into the flames before answering.

"I don't think it's the dramatic kind we see in movies."

"No?"

"I think love is consistency."

She listened carefully.

"It's showing up."

"It's remembering."

"It's choosing someone even on ordinary days."

She smiled.

"That's a beautiful answer."

"What about you?"

Meher watched the reflection of the stars dancing across Rainbow Lake.

"I think love is feeling safe enough to become your truest self."

He nodded slowly.

"I like that."

"So..."

She teased.

"If we combined our definitions..."

He laughed.

"We'd have a pretty good relationship."

"Maybe."


Later that night, they wandered toward the edge of the dock.

The lake was perfectly still.

Its surface reflected the stars so clearly that it felt as though the sky existed both above and below them.

A shooting star streaked across the darkness.

"There!" Meher exclaimed.

"Make a wish."

She closed her eyes for a moment.

When she opened them again, Ayaan was smiling.

"You won't tell me?"

"If I tell you, it won't come true."

"I never believed that."

"You don't have to."

"What if I guessed?"

"You'd be wrong."

He laughed.

"Fine. Keep your secret."

She looked at him thoughtfully.

Some wishes, she realized, weren't meant to be spoken.

Some were meant to be lived.

As they turned to walk back toward the cabin, their hands brushed against each other.

Neither of them pulled away.

Instead, their fingers slowly intertwined, as naturally as two rivers meeting.

No promises were made.

No confessions filled the air.

Just one quiet gesture beneath a sky full of stars.

Sometimes, love didn't arrive with a grand declaration.

Sometimes, it arrived with a hand that chose to stay.

Far above them, another shooting star crossed the heavens.

This time, neither of them made a wish.

For the first time in a long while, they already had something worth holding onto.

End of Chapter Three

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom