The Colors of Us – Chapter One
The Colors of Us – Chapter One
A Love Story at Rainbow Lake
There are places that take your breath away.
And then there are places that quietly return it.
Rainbow Lake was one of them.
Nestled between towering mountains, emerald meadows, and whispering pine forests, the lake shimmered beneath the afternoon sun like a masterpiece painted by nature itself. Shades of turquoise, sapphire, emerald, and silver danced across the water as the breeze carried the scent of wildflowers through the valley.
When Meher stepped out of the jeep, she stood still.
For months, she had dreamed of this place. She had seen photographs, watched travel documentaries, and imagined how it would feel to stand here.
None of them had done it justice.
"It's even more beautiful than I imagined," she whispered.
Behind her, Ayaan smiled as he lifted their backpacks from the vehicle.
"I had a feeling you'd say that."
She turned toward him, her eyes sparkling.
"You knew?"
"I've learned that every beautiful place becomes your favorite place."
She laughed.
"And what if this one becomes impossible to forget?"
Ayaan looked toward the lake before answering.
"Then we'll have to come back."
The words were simple.
But somehow, they carried the promise of a future.
They wandered along the shoreline without a destination.
There was no rush.
No itinerary.
No notifications demanding attention.
Only the quiet rhythm of nature.
Meher slipped off her shoes and dipped her feet into the icy water.
"Oh!"
She jumped back immediately.
"It's freezing!"
Ayaan couldn't help laughing.
"I did warn you."
"You could've warned me louder."
"I wanted to see your reaction."
She narrowed her eyes playfully.
"So you're making fun of me now?"
"Maybe just a little."
She bent down, scooped up a handful of water, and splashed it toward him.
The droplets caught the sunlight before landing on his jacket.
Ayaan stared at the wet sleeve.
"You started a mountain water fight."
"I absolutely did."
He stepped closer.
"You know this means revenge."
Before she could escape, he lightly flicked a few drops of water toward her.
She laughed so hard that the sound echoed across the valley.
For a brief moment, it felt as though even the mountains smiled with them.
By late afternoon, the breeze had turned cooler.
Without saying a word, Ayaan quietly draped his jacket over Meher's shoulders.
She looked up.
"You'll get cold."
"I'll survive."
"But—"
"You forget that I packed an extra sweater."
"You planned this?"
"I know you."
She smiled to herself.
Not because of the jacket.
Because someone had paid attention.
Love, she realized, wasn't hidden inside expensive gifts.
Sometimes it lived inside the smallest acts of care.
As the sun slowly descended behind the mountains, the sky transformed into shades of peach, lavender, and gold.
The lake reflected every color.
Almost like a rainbow had melted into the water.
Meher sat on a smooth rock near the shore while Ayaan unpacked a small thermos from his backpack.
"You didn't..."
"I did."
He poured steaming tea into two enamel mugs.
She burst into laughter.
"You brought tea all the way to Rainbow Lake?"
"You once told me every mountain deserves a cup of tea."
"I say a lot of things."
"I remember most of them."
She wrapped both hands around the warm mug.
The first sip tasted like cardamom, fresh mountain air, and comfort.
"This might be the best cup of tea I've ever had."
"I was hoping you'd say that."
She looked at him.
"Do you always remember the little things?"
"I don't remember everything."
He paused.
"I just remember the things that matter."
The words settled gently between them.
Neither rushed to fill the silence.
Some conversations don't need more sentences.
Only understanding.
As twilight settled over Rainbow Lake, the first stars began to appear above the mountains.
The valley grew quieter.
Even the breeze seemed softer.
Meher leaned back, watching the colors fade across the water.
"I used to think happiness had to be extraordinary," she said.
"What changed?"
"I realized happiness isn't always loud."
She glanced toward him.
"Sometimes it's just sharing tea with the right person while the world slows down."
Ayaan smiled.
"And sometimes..."
He reached for her hand.
"...it's finally finding someone who feels like home."
She intertwined her fingers with his.
The lake shimmered beneath the evening sky, reflecting every changing color above it.
Perhaps that was why people loved Rainbow Lake so much.
It wasn't because the water changed colors.
It was because the people who stood beside it did.
As darkness embraced the mountains, neither of them wished to leave.
Some journeys begin with a destination.
The most beautiful ones begin when two hearts discover that home isn't a place on a map.
It's the person walking beside you.
End of Chapter One
To be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment