The Colors of Us – Chapter Four
The Colors of Us – Chapter Four
Where Wildflowers Bloom
The next morning arrived wrapped in sunshine.
Rainbow Lake shimmered beneath a cloudless sky, its crystal-clear water reflecting the towering mountains like a perfect mirror. Overnight, the rain had awakened the valley. Wildflowers swayed gently in the breeze, filling the meadows with shades of yellow, violet, and white.
Meher stood outside the cabin with her camera hanging around her neck.
"I've decided something," she announced.
Ayaan looked up from tying his hiking boots.
"That sounds dangerous."
She laughed.
"We're having breakfast somewhere special."
"And where would that be?"
She pointed toward a flower-covered hill overlooking the lake.
"There."
He followed her finger.
"That's quite a climb."
"So?"
"So..."
He smiled.
"I'll carry the backpack."
"And I'll carry the snacks."
"Fair deal."
The climb wasn't easy.
The path wound through pine trees and fields of wildflowers, with butterflies dancing from bloom to bloom.
Halfway up the hill, Meher stopped to catch her breath.
"I think these mountains are trying to test me."
"They're only asking for patience."
She smiled.
"You always make everything sound poetic."
"I spend too much time with someone who writes."
She looked at him with mock suspicion.
"You're becoming impossible."
"I'll take that as a compliment."
When they finally reached the top, the view stole every remaining word from them.
Rainbow Lake stretched below like a jewel nestled among the mountains. The morning sunlight scattered across the water, creating shimmering ribbons of blue, green, and silver.
"It's unbelievable," Meher whispered.
"No photograph could ever capture this."
Ayaan spread a blanket across the soft grass while she wandered through the wildflowers, gently running her fingertips over the delicate petals.
"Don't pick them," he said softly.
She turned.
"I wasn't going to."
"They belong here."
She smiled.
"I know."
After a pause, she added,
"Some beautiful things are meant to be admired, not owned."
He looked at her thoughtfully.
"I think that applies to people too."
Breakfast was wonderfully simple.
Fresh bread.
Cheese.
Honey.
Seasonal fruit.
And, of course...
Tea.
"You planned all this?" Meher asked.
"I had some help from the caretaker."
She poured tea into two small enamel cups.
"You know," she said, "I used to believe happiness depended on having everything figured out."
"And now?"
"Now I think happiness is just being present."
She looked around.
"The mountains don't worry about tomorrow."
"The lake isn't trying to become a river."
"The flowers aren't competing with one another."
"They simply exist."
Ayaan smiled.
"Maybe people make life more complicated than it needs to be."
After breakfast, Meher wandered through the meadow taking photographs.
She crouched beside a cluster of tiny blue flowers.
"Come here," she called.
Ayaan walked over.
"What is it?"
She handed him the camera.
"My turn."
"You want me to take your picture?"
She nodded.
"But don't tell me how to pose."
"I wasn't planning to."
She stood naturally, letting the breeze play with her hair.
No forced smile.
No perfect angle.
Just sunlight, wildflowers, and a woman completely at peace.
Ayaan lifted the camera.
Click.
Click.
Click.
He lowered it slowly.
"What?"
"You look..."
He searched for the right word.
"...happy."
She smiled.
"I am."
He didn't take another photograph.
Some moments, he realized, deserved to be remembered by the heart instead of the camera.
On their way back, they discovered an old wooden swing hanging from the branch of a giant walnut tree.
Meher's eyes lit up.
"A swing!"
Without waiting another second, she sat down and gently pushed herself forward.
The breeze carried her laughter across the valley.
"Your turn!" she called.
"I think I'm too old."
"No one is too old for a swing."
He finally gave in.
For several minutes they laughed like children, competing to see who could swing higher.
A passing shepherd smiled as he watched them.
"May your laughter always echo through these mountains," he said warmly before continuing on his way.
The words lingered long after he had disappeared along the trail.
That evening, they returned to the lakeshore just as the sun began its slow descent.
The water glowed with soft shades of amber and rose.
Meher sat quietly, watching the reflections dance across the surface.
"Can I ask you something?" she said.
"You can ask me anything."
"What scares you the most?"
Ayaan took a deep breath.
"Losing the people I love."
She looked at him.
"I think everyone says they're afraid of being alone."
He nodded.
"But that's not what frightens me."
"What does?"
"Being present... and still failing to let someone know how much they mean to me."
His voice was calm, but sincere.
Meher looked out across the lake.
"I think that's why kindness matters."
He turned toward her.
"Because we never know how many chances we'll have?"
She nodded.
"So if you love someone..."
She smiled softly.
"Tell them."
"If you appreciate someone..."
"Show them."
"If someone makes your life brighter..."
"Never let them wonder if they're valued."
The last rays of sunlight disappeared behind the mountains.
For a long moment, neither of them spoke.
Then, without thinking, Ayaan reached over and gently tucked a loose strand of hair behind Meher's ear.
It was the smallest of gestures.
Yet somehow...
It felt like the beginning of forever.
Above them, the evening sky slowly filled with stars once again.
And somewhere deep within the quiet heart of Rainbow Lake, two souls were discovering that love doesn't always arrive all at once.
Sometimes...
It blooms as gently as wildflowers after the rain.
End of Chapter Four
To be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment