The Colors of Us – Chapter Five


 

The Colors of Us – Chapter Five

The Place Where Time Stood Still

Some places ask you to stay.

Rainbow Lake was one of them.

The morning sunlight danced across the crystal-blue water, while tiny ripples carried reflections of the snow-covered peaks. The valley felt untouched by time, as though the world beyond the mountains had quietly disappeared.

Meher stood on the wooden deck outside the cabin, holding a steaming cup of tea.

She wasn't thinking about yesterday.

Or tomorrow.

She was simply listening.

The whisper of the wind through the pines.

The distant melody of birds greeting the morning.

The gentle rhythm of water kissing the shore.

"You've become very quiet."

Ayaan's voice broke her thoughts.

She smiled without turning around.

"I'm trying to remember this."

"So am I."

She looked at him.

"No..."

She shook her head.

"I mean really remember it."

"The way the air smells after rain."

"The color of the water."

"The sound of these trees."

"Because one day we'll go home, and I'm afraid I'll forget how this feels."

Ayaan leaned against the wooden railing.

"I don't think you will."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Because some places don't leave us."

"They become part of us."


Later that morning, they rented a small wooden boat from a local fisherman.

The lake was perfectly calm.

Every stroke of the paddle sent gentle circles across the glass-like water.

"I've never been in a boat this small," Meher admitted.

"You trust me?"

She looked at him.

"I do."

He smiled.

"Then don't look down."

Naturally...

She looked down.

The clear water reflected the sky so perfectly that it felt as though they were floating among the clouds.

"It's beautiful," she whispered.

"It almost doesn't seem real."

Ayaan rested the paddle across the boat.

"Sometimes the most beautiful things are."


They drifted quietly for several minutes.

No phones.

No photographs.

Only silence.

Finally, Meher spoke.

"Can I tell you something I've never told anyone?"

"You don't have to."

"I know."

She looked across the endless blue.

"But I want to."

"When I was younger..."

"I spent so much time trying to become the person everyone expected."

"The perfect daughter."

"The perfect student."

"The perfect friend."

She laughed softly.

"It was exhausting."

Ayaan listened without interrupting.

"I forgot who I actually was."

"And did you find her again?"

She smiled.

"A little more every year."

He nodded.

"I think she's sitting right here."


As they reached the center of the lake, the breeze became stronger.

Meher wrapped her arms around herself.

Without saying anything, Ayaan offered her his scarf.

She accepted it with a grateful smile.

"You always notice."

"I pay attention."

"Why?"

He looked surprised by the question.

"Because you matter."

The words escaped so naturally that neither of them realized their weight until silence settled between them.

He hadn't planned to say them.

She hadn't expected to hear them.

The lake carried the moment gently between them.

Neither tried to explain it.

Some truths didn't need explaining.


That afternoon, they followed a narrow trail leading to a hidden waterfall tucked behind a cluster of ancient pine trees.

Water tumbled over smooth rocks into a crystal-clear pool below.

"It's like discovering a secret," Meher whispered.

Ayaan smiled.

"Maybe every beautiful place keeps one."

She removed her shoes and stepped into the icy stream.

"It's freezing!"

"You never learn."

"I probably never will."

He joined her.

The water reached only their ankles, but the cold made them laugh like children.

They splashed each other until neither could stop smiling.

Some tourists passing along the trail glanced at them and smiled.

Perhaps happiness was contagious.


As evening approached, they climbed onto a large rock overlooking the valley.

The sunset painted the mountains in shades of gold, coral, and lavender.

Meher rested her chin on her knees.

"Ayaan?"

"Hmm?"

"What happens after this trip?"

He knew what she really meant.

"What if life gets busy again?"

"What if work takes over?"

"What if we stop making time for moments like these?"

He thought carefully before answering.

"I don't think love disappears because life becomes busy."

She looked at him.

"I think it disappears when people stop noticing each other."

He continued quietly,

"So let's make a promise."

"What kind of promise?"

"No matter where life takes us..."

"We'll always make time."

"For tea."

She laughed.

"For tea?"

"And sunsets."

She smiled.

"And long walks."

"And listening."

"And reminding each other to slow down."

She extended her little finger toward him.

"A pinky promise?"

He laughed.

"I haven't done that since I was ten."

"Humor me."

He linked his finger with hers.

"I promise."

"So do I."

The mountains stood silently around them, as though witnessing the vow.

It wasn't a promise of forever.

It was something even more important.

A promise to choose each other in ordinary moments.


That night, Meher opened her journal before going to sleep.

She wrote only one sentence.

Some people enter your life like a storm.

Others arrive like a sunrise... so gently that you don't realize the darkness has already disappeared.

She closed the journal and smiled.

Outside, Rainbow Lake reflected a sky full of stars.

Inside the quiet cabin, two hearts were beginning to understand that love was never about grand gestures.

It was found in warm scarves.

Shared tea.

Laughter echoing through the mountains.

And promises whispered so softly that only the heart could hear them.

End of Chapter Five

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Hurt

The start of a new journey, a new me within

They Couldn’t See Me Bloom